Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Private Stock and Ridalin

There are other things that I'd like to post on this blog right now. I'd like to talk about how great a time I had two weeks ago with my three brothers in Tampa. I'd like to talk about my newfound, potentially problematic love of Private Stock rum.

But instead I'm gonna talk about something that's really been chapping my nads for the past few weeks.

Tom Cruise.

Every fucking time I pick up a newspaper or turn on the tube, I see people flapping their lips about him and Katie Holmes or condemning him for what he's been saying on Scientology, psychiatric help and medication.

Okay people... gather round... closer. No, I said FUCKING CLOSER so I can beat some sense into you. Be patient, it may take one or twenty beatings.

First up: He and Katie Holmes. Who gives a rats ass? It'll work or it won't and if it doesn't, chances are good it'll be the paparazzi and the tabloids that fuck it up for them. 'nuff said. NEXT.

The Scientology statements...

Scientology is relatively new as a religion, and for those who don't realize it, yes, it is recognized by church and state as an organized religion and has all the protection of other religions. The broadstroke of its principles: work and strive to solve your own problems from WITHIN rather than seeking help from OUTSIDE.

You can worship Christ, Buddha, Allah, or the fucking sun-god Ra if you feel like it and as long as you don't strap dynamite suspenders on and make a human milkshake of innocent bystanders, no one seems to give a shit. Scientology is getting heat because it's the newest kid in the neighborhood and doesn't have cool fairytales like the other religions.

Psychiatric treatment:

I don't agree with all that Cruise is saying on psychiatry, but I can see where he's coming from. I think that all too often people get lost mentally and can't find their way back. I think of a psychiatrist as a guide. They help you figure out where you went astray and get your gear together, slap you on the ass, give you a bag of trail mix and a invoice and everyone's happy. For some it takes a long time to get back on their path and others have wandered so far they've fallen off a cliff and there's no way to get back.

I think what Cruise is saying, based on Scientology, is to quit relying on others to solve your own problems. Quit relying on outside influences to correct what you think is out of kilter with yourself. Sort of like a God helps those that help themselves philosophy.

Ridalin: I think way too many kids are on the drug. I think it's become a knee-jerk reaction to parents saying that their kids are "out of control."

BUT, if it works without turning their kids into zombies, who am I to tell them not to do it? It's their kids. All I know is that when my generation grew up, there were a lot more ass-beatings and a lot less prescription drugs and for the most part, everyone seemed to turn out all right.

I'll be the first to admit I don't agree with everything Cruise is saying, but I have to give the guy credit for not backing down from what he believes in, bad press and new movie be damned.

If he wants to push Scientology, fine. He's no different on that then any other evangelist on local cable.

But I think that if whatever is working for you works, why condone or condemn what works for someone else? Help them if you can, sure. But some people just need a different box of tools than you.

If medication silence the voices in your head without making you feel like you're living in a fishtank, then so be it.

Worship whoever you feel like.

Be in love with whoever you feel like.

And tell whoever disagrees with you to go play a game of hide and go fuck themself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home