Thursday, August 02, 2007

Runnin from the Devil...

Before I get into today's moment of zen, I've got to remind the three of you who come to read this thing that I'll be giving a reading at this year's HorrorFind Weekend in Hunt Valley, MD.

I'll be doing a reading Saturday night at 5:00 in Salon F. I'll be sharing a reading slot with the talented Gord Rollo. I'll be there Friday afternoon onward and it would be cool if you'd be there or at least share a drink with me.

This means YOU, Michael Laimo.

Now we return to our normally scheduled rant...


-------------


I just got back from running two miles tonight.

It's really fuckin hot out and this is the third time this week I've done a two mile run.

All together, I've probably hit about twelve or thirteen miles in the past month.

Nothing was chasing me.

And I wasn't chasing anything.

Until I sat down here at my desk and began to blog... and realized I was chasing after myself. Or more accurately, the person I've become. Sometime during the past year... the person I've been turning into left my ass in the dust.

If last year at this time, I'd met me now... I wouldn't recognize myself.

This past year?

Oh baby.

There's been some changes all right. It's been a year of polarity. I've done a beer with goods and a shot with evils. I've danced with trust and pinched betrayal's ass.

I've had a little menage et trois with life and death and came out on the other side.

But I am definitely not the same guy I was last year.

I'd like to think the central core of a person remains intact... that we all have a kernel of good at the base of us that remains constant and evergreen. That no matter how bad things may get, that soft, chewy center is the glue that keeps everything else intact.

But aside from that, the fact is people change. They're exposed to new ideas and concepts. They learn. They grow.

Well, most of them do. Others just keep repeating the same thing over and over like a record stuck in a groove.

The thing is, what do you do with those changes? How do you greet them? You can run from them, sure.

The thing is, it's like running away from death. You can get away with for a while, but trust me on this, baby... you ain't never gonna out run it. And one day... you are gonna die.

Embrace whatever's coming your way. Don't run from it. Don't run after it.

Run with it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be there in spirit, for sure.

Running...it's always the unexpected hurdles that get me! :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Kelli Owen said...

Run, Forest... RUN!!

Change is good, it's a reminder that you're still alive. =))

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a presentation of my own to give that Friday. But I am always with you. I know you'll be as mesmerizing as ever.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home