Thursday, January 08, 2009

With Rose Colored Glasses

Well, well, well. Hello 2009. Pull up a rock and sit with me a bit. I realize you and I are just getting to know each other, still in the flirting stage, so to speak, but I think it's important we lay a few ground rules first, just so we're both on the same page.

I'm looking at you with rose colored glasses, and though I'm still nervous about where this is all going, I still have those excited butterflies in my stomach.

#1: My most important rule: You will not be careless with my heart. I refuse to put up with that shit this year.

#2: I can handle a lot of bullshit, but you will promise to provide me with wading boots high enough for me to get through it. If you don't, I will take my marbles and go play in another playground.

#3: I have my goals and objectives for this year and you'll cut me some damn slack once in a while to achieve them.

#4: No more bullshit with anything health related for anyone I know. Refer to Rule #2.

#5: You will also cut my friends some slack in order to achieve their goals. Most of them seem to have had enough shit to deal with lately as it is. If you don't, we shall all gang up on you and beat you with a boat oar.

#6: Economy Shmaponomy. There will be new clients attracted to my business because of our creative approach, our talent, and our all around coolness factor.

#7: Can we stop with the drama? Really? Reallllly? If I could package my surroundings and put it in pitch format, you'd all be watching it on FOX next season as a reality show.


In return for you following these rules, I promise to hold your hand when the mountains turn into valleys. I promise to hold up my end of the bargain and put the work in when I have to. I'll do my best to keep looking at you with rose colored glasses and smile; even when you're not wearing make-up; even when you have bed head hair and are grumpy; even when you act pissed off and don't really mean it.


P.S. Thanks to everyone who got a copy of New Dawn and was really into my short story, Bloodglegum and Lolliknives (you earn an additional two points for saying it was your favorite title of the collection). It was my pleasure. I had a ton of fun writing that bloody little tale, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Many thanks to Brian Keene and my other fellow contributors in the collection. I promise you'll be seeing more.



Current Read:
King's Just After Sunset. It's been a long time since I've read anything by King and I'm digging this short story collection. Next up: The Shack, then The Reach, by Nate Kenyon.

Current Music:
Nothing major, but into songs with meaningful lyrics lately.

Current Infatuation:
Subtle moments. Glimpses of things not meant to be seen. ;)

Recent Movies:
The Bucket List. Meaningful, yeah, but extremely difficult to watch in parts if you've ever had a loved one die of cancer. Both Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman come through, and Rob Reiner does his usual kickass job of directing.

Current Work in Progress:
Untitled short about killing Shel Silverstein. (You're gonna like this one, trust me)
Samson and Denial (Shut up Kelli) is back in full force and going well. No hang-ups, no blocks and it's sailing.
Untitled novel; set this one aside for a bit, but picked it back up and found where it needs to go.

xo,
b

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 2009! I've got his back on those promises.

*ass kicking boots are laced up and ready to go*

11:17 AM  
Blogger rebelleink said...

Less reality show style drama served up for everyone! Big cup o' Peace and Joy for all! On me!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sign me up.

The Bucket List sent me into a bit of a downward spiral. I guess I haven't cried in a while.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home