Friday, January 16, 2009

General Updates

I never really read anything by the Greek philosopher Epictetus. He was thought to be born as a slave, lived in Rome for a while, then got exiled to another part of Greece where he lived the rest of his life. His stance was that all natural events are determined by fate and are out of our control. All that's left for us is to just nod our head and accept how things turn out. Any pain comes from not being able to accept what happens.

Anyway, there's a phrase of his that has come up lately.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid with regard to external things."

Lately, this seems like some decent advice, and I think I just may expand my horizons a bit by reading a bit more of Epictetus' wise words.

Thought foolish... hmmm.

And one more as a parting gift:
Whoe'er yields properly to Fate is deemed
Wise among men, and knows the laws of Heaven.

Current Reads:
10 pages away from finishing King's Just After Sunset. REALLY dug the story in there titled "Mute."

Current Work in Progress:
Still cranking away on Samson and Denial and just got through another particularly violent and bloody scene. It will make you cringe. It will make you laugh. It will make you look at broken beer bottles in a different light.

Recent Movies: Eagle Eye. Popcorn action movie with Shia Lebeouf. The plot jumps the shark a bit, but it's a good "what if" situation involving how much technology is affecting our lives.

Juno. Now, I see what all the hub bub was about. Great little story and incredible characters.

Current infatuation:
Being thought foolish and letting go of things.

Current Music: Jaydiohead.

Be good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Mulak said...

"Samson and Denial" sounds awesome. Let me know where it gets published so I can get a copy. I love the three stories of yours I've read so far.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Hey man! Hope you're doing well. And glad you're digging the past stuff I've done. Samson and Denial is definitely a longer piece of work, but I think everyone will like it.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home