Friday, August 22, 2008

Intolerance for Intolerance...

Shortly after I first met Brian Keene, he invited me to one of the infamous Keene-Con's in his back yard. This was years ago, and since then, we've become close friends. At his party, it was barely two weeks that I'd known him, and he made a statement to me. He said that he couldn't speak so much for other genres, but most everyone in the horror genre are some of the most accepting, tolerant and open people around. Their only intolerance is for intolerance.


I'll admit, looking back, in high school I used to be an ass in some of the ways I thought. No excuse, but it was the environment I grew up in... surrounded by a variety of students, ranging from red neck to outright hillbilly, I became a product of nurture, not nature.

But as I've grown older, I've reached a point of maturity and growth where I realize both that 1) I don't really give a shit and 2) as long as it's not affecting me or my loved ones, it doesn't really matter. I'm not of the homosexual nature and I've met some incredibly wonderful people over the past ten years that I've began to really take writing seriously... of both hetero and homosexual natures. And it doesn't matter.

It just doesn't matter. They're people and that's the end of it.

In this fucked up world that we live in - and if you think it's not fucked up right now, you seriously need to turn on CNN once in a while and get some meds - if two people find love and solace and comfort in each other, more power to them. I'm happy for them because finding that is so rare... it's like Ishmael tracking the white whale.

Having said that, if you're interested in, write for, read from, or otherwise a fan of the horror genre, you should read Brian Keene's latest blog post. You can check it out by clicking here..

And also his addendum here..

Roy at Bad Moon Books has publicly aired his own beliefs in a completely arrogant and belligerent way. There's no call for it. I for one, don't see myself buying any future books from him - no matter the writer. You reap what you sow, and Roy has planted a crop for himself and his company that I predict will fail miserably.

Anyone who's paid attention to my blog for a while will know that I've no faith in a religious sense, but what I do believe in is karma because I've seen it work out time and time again. You give what you get. I think Roy has yet to understand that.

And as for Brian's original statement to me years ago, standing in his back yard and sharing beers and burgers... intolerance for intolerance...

Brother, I couldn't agree with you more.

***
Been busting my ass this week with work... but there'll be a new blog post soon and some updates on what I've been doing before all hell broke loose with my day job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home